Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ramping Up for the Big Day



I mentioned to Marken that I had asked numerous devotees with digital cameras if they would get me some pictures of New Vrindavan cows. Not one has delivered over a period of several months, despite all of them professing to be glad to do it. I said if I had my own camera, I could get some myself. The next time he went to town, he came back with a camera and gave it to me.

Naturally, by this time, I am no longer in any shape to be wandering the pastures, so I was thinking what picture to take. I decided to take one of our new wheelchair ramp. So, besides some throwaway test shots, this is the first picture taken with the new camera. That is Marken pushing me. Tulasi took the photo.

If I were to do it again, I would frame the shot a little differently. Plus remove the date stamp and the little cart the boys used to haul lumber over to the ramp site. Also, next to my Norwegian flag is a little piece of weathered wood with “Out of My Gourd” wood burned on it that someone traded my wife for a crafted gourd at one of her shows. That extends out from the flag in a way that seems illogical in the photo. I would remove that. But with going in for orientation tomorrow (Friday) and being in Pittsburgh Monday to check in for Tuesday surgery, time and energy is too short so I can only ask the reader to imagine these changes.

Marken continues to work out the details of coordinating with his command on his ship so he has all the proper documentation and orders, but that seems to be all done in theory. His command has been calling from Italy everyday so no complaints about that end of things.

We have been ordering some vegetarian bouillon cubes assuming there will be some time on a liquid diet. Last visit, they gave me this fake fruit juice with high fructose corn syrup as the first listed ingredient, Jell-o, and chicken broth. None of which I wanted to take, though I did do the juice because I had to have something. Older and wiser now, we are bringing our own broth, real fruit juice, and some hard candies to suck on. The hard candies are allowed as long as I don’t swallow them. I like the horehound ones and Ricola cough drops. We are also working out a menu for solid meals, and will be allowed to bring in our own food. With the alternative menu and a set of earplugs, somehow I’ll get through it.

3 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is Prashant from New Delhi. I am not sure what do you mean by pictures of New Vrindavan Cows, but I have got a few snaps of cows in Nasik and Delhi that I can send you if you wish.

Please let me know at rush2prashant@rediffmail.com

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Madhava Gosh said...

Thanks for the kind offer. I have dialup connection so receiving photos is time consuming. I have got the camera and some energy has returned so I am able to get photos myself now.

FYI, my blog is now at a new address where I can categorize posts and I have a cow category to view pictures of New Vrindavan cows if you like.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Madhava Gosh said...

http://walkingthefenceline.wordpress.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home