Saturday, May 20, 2006

Plot Summary of Recent Events

I don’t seem to be bouncing back as quickly from this latest medical setback as I had hoped to, so will write less than I may have otherwise. Of course, since most of what I will skip over is whining about bodily discomforts that may be best anyway.

Here is the plot summary of last 10 days.

Woke up, felt bad, wife drove me to the hospital.
Puked a lot of blood.
Think I went into shock.
Taken by ambulance to Pittsburgh(UPMC).
Surgery to repair ruptured esophageal varix.
Two days in induced coma.

Woke up, got a little better.
Marken gets emergency leave from US Navy.
Fronted like I was fine, got released.
Marken gets home.
He tells me he is going to be a living liver donor.
Leaves me no room for negotiation.

Marken spends 3 days at UPMC being tested.
He is cleared to be a donor.
UPMC and Red Cross issue request to Navy.
He gets commitment proper orders will be issued.
Goes to Morgantown to connect with Navy duty station.
I try to blog.

Future: if paperwork goes through, transplant could occur as early as 5 days. Bleeding varices, once they start occurring, could be months or weeks apart, but eventually they become untreatable, and the body is shed.

I certainly had the opportunity to check out this time, but took advantage of modern medicine and hung around a bit longer. Marken, my 22 year old middle son, offering to be a living donor is overwhelming. It creates some complex and emotional responses. If it is successful, I may almost return to normal, and pray I do something right somewhere along the line to justify staying around.

Will try writing something more interesting later. Some funny things did happen during all this. I hope Krishna is something like "In situations, I am the humor." I might have a chance then.

1 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If it is successful, I may almost return to normal, and pray I do something right somewhere along the line to justify staying around."

Just giving us your association is justification enough if you ask me.

ys, ekendra das

 

Post a Comment

<< Home