Friday, April 28, 2006

Fruits, Vegetables Not As Nutritious As Before



A modern tomato harvest in full swing.

"In spite of what Mother taught you about the benefits of eating broccoli, data collected by the U.S. government show that the nutritional content of America's vegetables and fruits has declined during the past 50 years -- in some cases dramatically.

Donald Davis, a biochemist at the University of Texas, said that of 13 major nutrients in fruits and vegetables tracked by the Agriculture Department from 1950 to 1999, six showed noticeable declines -- protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin and vitamin C. The declines ranged from 6 percent for protein, 15 percent for iron, 20 percent for vitamin C, and 38 percent for riboflavin..."

"Davis said he doesn't want his study to encourage people to stop eating vegetables on the grounds they lack nutrients.

"That's completely wrong," he said, contending his study shows that people need to eat more vegetables and fruits, not less. "Vegetables are extraordinarily rich in nutrients and beneficial phytochemicals. They are still there, and vegetables and fruits are our best sources for these."..."

See complete article here.

6 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Madhava Ghosh prabhu,
Dandavat pranaams. Jaya Srila Prabhupada. I frequently visit your blog and I really love many of your posts -- many times understanding the purport only after a while. I request your permission to use some of your posts and links for a college preaching magazine that a few of us students are publishing. The team involves students from Penn State Uty, Ohio State Uty and MIT.
http://www.quintmag.com/

May we use your posts for our monthly editions?

Your disciple,
Carl
Email: rind_19@yahoo.com

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Madhava Gosh said...

It's the internet, the reality is I couldn't stop you if I wanted to.

As far as permission goes, I would request 2 things.

First, don't call yourself my disciple. Carries too much cultural baggage, for one thing. I can only take it as meant ironically but someone might freak out and think it was serious and I don't need the grief.

Second, could you send a link to the magazine so I could view it? I can think of a lot of types of publications I would prefer not to be associated with. Not that I have any reason to think your's is one of them, just my innate cynicism rides me like a monkey.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prabhuji,
Hare Krsna!
I had provided the link to the magazine website in the post. See above:

www.quintmag.com

I know its the internet, but never hurts to obtain the blessings of a devotee.

Yours,
Carl

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Madhava Gosh said...

Doh. I see the address now. That will teach me to skim through things.

I would be honored that you would even consider using anything I blogged. Much of what I use is generic, just links to other sites, so you could link directly to them probably. It's just product of basic research. Sometimes juxtaposed with an appropriate image.

If you do use any original content, that is fine. If it was easy, throw my blog address in it, but not necessary.

Always good to get the blessing of a devotee. If I see some later today, I will ask them to bless you.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Madhava Gosh said...

By the way, OSU or PSU aren't that far from New Vrindavan. If you are ever this side, stop by and say hi.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks prabhu. Will definitely stop by if i visit NV.

Yours,
carl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home