Saturday, January 28, 2006

Old Age

An old man goes to see the doctor and gets some tests done. When the results come in, the doctor calls the old man in and says, "You'd better sit down. It's pretty bad." The old man, naturally, gets all nervous and asks, "What is it doc? Don't hold back -- just give it to me straight."

"Well," says the doctor, "you have cancer. But, sir, I'm afraid you also have Alzheimers."

The man replies, "Wow. Well, at least I don't have cancer."

Certainly, the above runs the risk of being a bit tasteless, but that is the advantage of being granted honorary old age status by my medical condition -- I feel a license to use gallows humor. Sort of liberating in a way. Lots of things that used to seem important become uninteresting. That includes sectarian cultural based visions of what spirituality is. A lot of the guilt trips used by institutions (and wannabes who want to control institutions) to maintain their elitist self images seem crude and pathetic attempts to avoid facing reality. Sacrificing their humanity on the altar of the "Absolute". It is starting to amuse me more than annoy me. Some annoyance remains though, so be advised I may not be more lenient when the BS is flying. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home